Most women don’t need to see a psychologist after having an abortion. The feelings of regret after the abortion are rare. In fact, the most common emotional response after the termination of pregnacy is RELIEF.
Most women don’t need to see a psychologist after abortion. The most common emotional response after an abortion is relief.
Even if you feel sadness or grief, these feelings usually disappear after a few days. In countries where the social taboo and stigma are notorious due to hypocrisy or religious pressure, it is more common that women suffer with guilt or shame.
Here are some general guidelines:
- How do women fell after abortion?
A – Every woman is a unique human being, therefore you are also unique when it comes to your feelings after the abortion. Most women say they feel relieved for taking the best decision under the circumstances they were in.
However, for some women abortion may aggravate some emotions such as sadness, anger, guilt, shame and regret. It is important to recognize that it you are feeling sad and start to take care of yourself.
B – You’re not a bad person for having an abortion. And you are not alone for choosing to induce the end of your pregnacy. Approximately 42 million of women all over the world have an abortion, every year!
- What kind of things can contribute for the axiety after having an abortion?
Your hormones are changing and going back to the previous pregnancy levels. This chemical change can cause crying and feelings of sadness, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you need to see a psychologist after an abortion.
- Someone may have forced you to have an abortion rather than letting you make the decision by yourself;
- You may not have plenty of support from your family or friends;
- You may be feeling torn between whether you want to go ahead with the abortion or not;
- You may feel alone and abandoned;
- Maybe you were waiting for the man who got you pregnant to have a child with you and perhaps that’s not what he wants. This may be increasing your sorrow;
- You may feel a lack of self-esteem and often feel bad about yourself;
- Other sides of your life might be too stressful – school, job, kids, etc.
- Is it normal to feel depressed after the abortion?
In rare cases women can become clinically depressed after having an abortion. If you experience depressive symptoms then you should seek professional ehlp and go to a psychologist after having the abortion. Depression is a severe disease. It is important for you to find professional help from a doctor, psychologist or therapist.
- What is the “post-abortion syndrome”?
Most women who go trough abortions have little or no psychological harm whatsoever. However, many of the individuals that oppose to abortion claim that a woman who has an abortion will suffer from a kind of post-traumatic stress also known as a “post-abortion syndrome”.
Several psychiatrists doubt about the existence of a “post-abortion syndrome” and point out that an abortion is no different from other stressful experience that some people may experience.
- What can I do to help myself to recover after an abortion?
The following suggestions may help you accept and deal with your feelings and make sadness disappear.
- Allow yourself to express your sadness and sorrow. That will make the regret and melancholy disappear;
- Don’t be harsh on yourself;
- Remember that you are brave and that you have made a difficult decision;
- Remember why you decided to have an abortion;
- Write your feelings in a journal or particular book that no one else can see;
- Do some relaxing exercises to help you dealing with the stress;
Different women have different feelings and experiences regarding an abortion. Studies show that women do not suffer for too long due the abortion they decided to carry out.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!